Every five years, every parish church is inspected to see how the building is doing and what needs fixing. In late 2013, St Michael’s was inspected and a major set of repairs and restoration work was identified with an estimated initial cost of £125,000. Our Grade I listed parish church needed significant repairs.
A number of people in our community worked hard over several years to raise money and arrange the repairs. We were delighted to secure funding from Heritage England via the National Lottery’s Heritage Lottery Fund. The HLF provided a confirmed grant of £65,600 to the church for the church’s restoration and renewal project which represented 82% of the final total costs.
This part of our website is all about the project that enabled us to fix our beautiful, old building. We hope these further details and timeline help to provide insight into what we did, why St Michael’s is such a special place of architectural importance and how the project progressed.
- What was the project trying to repair and restore?
- What makes St Michael’s such a special place that it is worth fixing?
Key announcements, timeline and tweets!
- Stonemason Day in Offham with Children from Offham School
A Tweeted photo showing children learning about our church history, local village history and see the Stonemasons work. (4 July 2017)
- Work is underway inside the church
A Tweet showing the repair works underway around the Altar. (26 June 2017)
- Huge thanks to all those who came to Lazy Sunday Jazz
A Tweet showing photos from our Lazy Sunday Jazz fundraiser. (26 June 2017)
- Masonry work is getting underway
A Tweet showing photos of the scaffold and masonry works. (8 June 2017)
- First task on site – protect the gravestones
A Tweet showing the old gravestones being boarded up. (22 May 2017)
- May Day 2017, Church stand promotes local repairs
Offham May Day included a church stand displaying our local heritage stories. (26 April 2017)
- St Michael’s Offham secures National Lottery investment
The National Lottery backs us with £65,600 funding for the repairs. (30 March 2017)
- Harp Concert fundraiser gives the children a chance to learn
A Tweet from our October event with harpist Margaret Watson. (3 October 2016)
- Dog Party fundraiser means Offham’s four-legged friends get to help
A Tweet from a local event organised by a member of our church to raise funds. (4 September 2016)
- St Michael’s wins Heritage Lottery Fund support
The National Lottery backs us with £8,500 funding for the initial development phase. (9 March 2016)
- Over £1,700 raised from our Heritage Lecture with John Bailey
A Tweet announcing the amount raised. (6 September 2015)
- John Bailey lectures
A Tweet from the John Bailey lecture with a photo of the crowd around John. (6 September 2015)
- Historic walking tour raising funds for our repairs
Diocesan Architect John Bailey gives a lecture about the history of our church. (6 September 2015)
- Lazy Sunday Jazz photo
A Tweet from the Offham Society fundraiser. (7 June 2015)
- Lazy Sunday Jazz event raising funds for St Michael’s
A Tweet promoting a new event in June. (4 June 2015)
- The Friends of Offham scheme relaunches at May Day
A Tweet of a photo of our stand at May Day as we started raising funds and awareness. (2 May 2015)